Fennel originates from the Mediterranean region. Also known as “sweet fennel” or “Florence fennel”, the plant has a sweet, aromatic flavour similar to that of liquorice or aniseed.
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 branches celery
- 2 apples
- 10 radishes
- A few leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- A handful of walnuts
- Juice of half a lemon
- Oil for dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Finely slice the fennel, cucumber, celery, apples and radishes (using a mandolin slicer if possible).
- Add the juice of half a lemon to prevent the apples from turning brown.
- Add the walnuts and basil. Drizzle oil generously over the top, add a pinch of salt and some pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with shaved parmesan just before serving.